Monday, November 2, 2009

The Perfect Weekend

Fall has finally arrived here in Southeast Texas. That means the weather has finally cooled off to the point that long sleeves can be worn. And we enjoyed that to the full for our fun, autumn weekend.

On Saturday, we had matinee tickets to see Mary Poppins. We had been looking forward to this for quite some time and decided to make a day of it. So, after a bit of a lazy morning, we headed off for a late breakfast/lunch that we enjoyed at Mama's Cafe. Before heading out, we had a mini photo shoot in the yard:

Photobucket

After breakfast, we decided to spend a few minutes at what Houstonians call the Water Wall. It may have a more formal name, I'm not sure. But I'd never taken Henry before I thought he would get a kick out of it. And he did:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

As it's name indicates, it is a wall with water cascading down the side. We got a bit wet standing there watching it. But it is a bit mesmerizing. It also gave Henry a chance to run around a bit and burn off some energy before being required to sit still at the play.

Here is Henry looking adorable before the show:

Photobucket

He loved the play and reported his favorite part was when everything fell apart in the kitchen. His second favorite part was where Mary Poppins flew across the stage (which she did a total of 3 times). My favorite scene was the tap dancing, especially when Bert tap danced across the ceiling.

After the play ended, we ran a few errands and ended up in the part of town where the sole Macaroni Grill in the Houston area is still open. We decided to dine there and experienced another great meal.

On Sunday, we found ourselves a bit discombobulated from the time change. This seemed to give us a nice stretch of time in the middle of the afternoon without anything else to do. Henry decided he wanted to ride his bike since he has the goal of removing the training wheels. After riding for a bit, I realized that there was very little time where one of the trainings wheels was actually touching the ground. So I decided there was no time like the present and off they went.

We had a few falls and many, many tears. But in the end, he mastered balancing the bike quite well. Now, steering it is another matter all together and the topic of our next bike-riding lesson.

Photobucket
Here we are having a bit of pep talk...

Photobucket
And here is proof of him riding on his own!


4 comments:

  1. Way to go on the 2-wheeler!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright! What a big guy, riding those two wheels! Steering is over rated anyway! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, the photos are top notch! Very professional looking. Henry in front of that water wall is very artsy.

    Second, Go Henry! I remember learning to ride with out my training wheels. Remind me to show you the scar on my knee from my first, and only (I think), real fall off my bike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin..I have a similar scar on my knee...I don't know whether it would be a good thing or a bad thing to share that with him at this point.

    And thanks for the compliment on my photos...I take that as high praise coming from you.

    ReplyDelete